Sometimes when I get home from work I fall into the habit of having cereal for dinner. It’s simple take out a bowl (or a cup in my case) fill it with cereal and some milk, grab a spoon and wah-la DINNER.
That is not dinner… Look how easy this is:
First make the rice it takes longer, but it is worth it
Healthy Toasted Coconut Rice
- Toast a half of a cup of shredded coconut in an oven or toaster (keep an eye on it it burns quickly)
- Put a tablespoon of coconut in the pan
- Put two cups of rice let it toast in the coconut oil
- (Once you smell the toasting of the rice) Put two cups of water or just enough to cover the rice in the pan, let it boil, when its boiling turn the flam low and cover it.
- When all of the water is absorbed by the rice stir and make sure that it is the right consistency. Add salt and Toasted coconut.
Teriyaki Organic Salmon (I find organic just tastes better)
- First– let the salmon sit in some lemon juice (takes away the super fishy flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Put teriyaki sauce on the salmon– let it marinate
- (Optional) Heat oil in a pan, sear the skin of the salmon to create a crunchy bottom
- Put the salmon in the oven for 5 minutes at 350
- Add more teriyaki sauce on top to ensure good flavor–then broil the salmon until desired temperature.
The zucchini is really EASY
- Put a little butter into a sauce pan on medium heat
- Cut zucchini how desired
- Sear in the butter, add salt and some lemon
Dinner prepared in 30 minutes! The same wait if you ordered in, but MUCH healthier.
Sidenote: I know most people look at butter, oils and carbs as a non-starter when talking about healthy foods, but healthy doesn’t mean eliminating parts of a regular diet. It means regulating portions and having a balance. It is so important that we don’t suppress our eating because that slows metabolisms and ultimately you end up binging on the things you’ve deemed absolutely out of the question. A cupcake here and there won’t kill you. I would argue it would make some people happier! (sorry if your favorite junk food is something else; I could agree with fries or anything fried!)
Wah-LA real dinner!